Monday, April 5, 2010

WHY ARE WOMEN SO NEEDY?

How Needy is Needy?
I like to think of myself as a fairly self sufficient person, granted many of us like to think things about ourselves that are not always entirely true. Because of this I was slightly offended the first time I was told that I was needy, in fact to this day I may even fold my arms and huff like an upset 3 year old if I am told that. Why do I not like being called that? Well first off I know about ten other women who are far and beyond worse than me so why am I being called needy and second I believe there are certain things that it is okay to expect or at least desire from a partner. Let me explain.

First: One of these ten other women I know is Jill, I work with both her and her husband Jack. She can not go to a single doctors appointment (and I'm referring to a non-invasive check up) for her, or take one of her sons to one, go to the bank, or open her email without Jack being there. Please keep in mind this is just a random small selection of a very large list of things Jill can not do without or requires from Jack. The problem here is that no matter how drastic your woman's needyness is as soon as the woman hears her being called needy she will usually automatically think of the most needy person she knows and think 'You really think I'm that bad?' with eyes watering. Even though you probably don't even know who their needy girlfriends are. Oh, and ladies, THEY DON'T KNOW WHO YOUR NEEDY GIRLFRIENDS ARE! So don't compare yourselves to them, they sure as hell aren't.

Second: Women have a natural desire for their man to protect them so if they know you don't want to go somewhere with them and they are still asking you one possible reason could be that they are uncomfortable going alone. Then you say, 'Why don't you take a girlfriend?' because, genius, it really isn't the same. In this I am referring to physical protection and other kinds of protection, yes a woman can take a car into the shop, it is an easy thing to do but I know my fair share about cars and I am telling you as soon as a mechanic sees a female it's like a walking cash sign, fellas go with your girls! The other, in my opinion, understandable reason is companionship. Granted no one should be asked to go absolutely everywhere all the time but a family dinner or a night out with friends a woman tends to not want to be the only one with a significant other that didn't show up. So to reiterate, it shouldn't be all the time but being there for someone else, even when you may not want to be(yes, family dinners can suck), is what a relationship is all about.

Women are not the only ones!
Men are needy too. Like women, some are worse than others. But unlike women men are needy in very different ways. My friend Ed was raised by a single working mother who could not be around as often as a growing boy probably needed and now, 30 years later, he is a little starved for affection and his girlfriend needs to constantly remind him that he is loved and capable of being loved. The trick for her, of course, is doing this in a way that still makes him feel like the manly man of the house.

My 2 Cents
Fellas, yes, your girlfriend can be needy sometimes but instead of letting it irritate the crap out of you why don't you just take a moment to figure out why some of these seemingly crazy things to you are so important to her.

Ladies, some of you are more self sufficient than others and some needier than others but whatever you are accept it. Don't compare yourself to anyone else, and if you are unsure of yourself instead of worrying about how needy is too needy just take a look at what is important to you and if something is truly that important to you a good man will understand that and be there for you. Also in the middle of all this deep internal thought take a moment to recognize what he needs, he may be better at hiding it but trust me his needs are there too.(and if one of those needs just happens to be freedom from at least one crazy family dinner, then by all means let him have it after all he has been through going to those for you;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment